TO AVOID PREDATORS or PEOPLE TRYING TO LURE YOUR CHILDREN
You may wish to consider some of the following to reinforce with your children:
Discuss predatory lures that are commonly used, i.e. asking for assistance, lost pet, bribery, authority figures, faking an emergency about a family member, etc.
Encourage your children to travel in groups, be aware of their surroundings and be alert.
If your children are approached by a stranger they should not engage in a conversation and answer any questions and they should obviously never get into another person’s vehicle without parental consent.
Other good tactics include three basic rules if engaged, “drop” anything they are carrying that may slow them down, “holler” and make as much noise and commotion as possible and “run” to a safe location where other adults are. Report any luring incidents by calling 911.
Encourage your child to trust his/her intuition and take action if he/she senses danger. Tell your child not to worry about being polite, to make a lot of noise, and to run away, scream, shout, or punch back at anyone that approaches them physically. Teach the “NO-GO-TELL system. Your child should; 1) Say NO if someone tries to touch her/him or make them feel scared or uncomfortable; 2) GO quickly away from the situation; and 3) TELL a trusted adult.
When your child is old enough to go out alone, demand that he/she tell you the three
‘W’s”; WHO I am going with; WHERE I will be; WHEN I will be returning home. Make sure your child informs you anytime plans may change.
Establish home and phone safety rule. When your child is old enough to stay home alone, he/she should keep the door locked and never answer questions over the phone or at the door.
Be aware of your child’s Internet activities. Predators use online chat rooms and other Internet resources to arrange face-to-face meetings with children. Many Internet service providers have parent-control options to block certain material from coming into your child’s computer.
Ongoing Community Bible Class
- Berea Nyack SDA Community Bible Class every WEDNESDAY @6pm- 7pm (followed by Prayer Meeting at 7pm- 8pm.) Congratulations to the 1st Graduating Class of seven participants of this Bible Course. We eagerly await your participation.
- NOVEMBER 7TH, 2019- The 6th Annual Pastor Appreciation and Charitable Appreciation Dinner will be held @ 6:00pm at the Nyack Seaport. Nyack Headstart will be this year's recipient of the charitable appreciation. Tickets will soon be available for purchase. Each member is asked to sell 5 tickets.
- NOVEMBER 9TH, 2019- Sunrise Choir's 44th Annual Choir Day and culmination of the Pastor Appreciation Day will be during Divine Worship. Come and celebrate this ministry with us!
- NOVEMBER 10TH, 2019- Adventurer Banquet. For more details please see Director Natacha Estiverne. Tickets are going fast. Reserve a seat now.
- NOVEMBER 15- 17TH, 2019- Women's Ministry Arise and Shine Retreat is at the Trumbull Marriot Shelton. Registration info can be found at www.adventsource.com or by calling 1-800-732-7587.